Today’s (June 17, 2014) Globe and Mail has an interesting article on Commencement speeches. Check it out
Recently the Wall Street Journal published the commencement speech delivered at the University of Texas at Austin by Adm. William H. McRaven, commander of U.S. Special Operations Command.
It is a great example of some of the elements of a good commencement speech which are actually the elements of any good speech.
- Speak about what you know
- Have a single, clear message you want the audience to retain
- Give real examples to make your point
- Speak conversationally; don’t lecture or pontificate
- Take your lessons and link them to the audience
- Keep it simple
- It never hurts to provide a little humor
You can read the speech here.